Frequently Asked Questions
Our families have shared some of the most commonly asked questions as they begin the process.
Can I provide input around the children that I feel fit with my family?
Yes, Aspiranet works with each family to determine the best match between a child and family. It is important to remember that the majority of foster children are teenagers or siblings who sometimes have medical, emotional or mental health needs so it is important to keep an open mind around possibilities you may have not considered. Aspiranet will assist you in building your skills to support children and youth experiencing challenges around transitioning and healing from trauma.
How long does it take to become an Aspiranet family?
It typically takes a family between three to six months to become an Aspiranet family. The time can vary depending on how quickly a family completes the requirements.
Will a birth family be involved while I am caring for a child?
Yes, in most circumstances a child’s family remains involved with their child through supervised visits while he/she is in foster care. The first priority for most children in foster care is to be safely reunified with their families. Many families improve their situation, allowing their children to return home. Your social worker will help you understand your role in supporting a child’s connection with their birth family.
How will Aspiranet help me if I am caring for a child with challenging behaviors?
Many of the children in foster care come with special medical, emotional or behavioral needs based on their past experiences and trauma they may have encountered. When your family is asked to care for a child, Aspiranet shares all information available regarding the needs, behaviors and habits of the child. Your social worker partners with your family and other adults involved with the child to determine his/her needs and then helps develop a plan that best addresses those needs. Some children will benefit from additional services and support, and your social worker can help identify needs and secure services.
Why choose Aspiranet?
- An Aspiranet Social Worker will be part of your family’s team and will have weekly contact in an effort to support you and the child in your home.
- Aspiranet provides 24/7 on-call social worker support.
- Aspiranet helps secure medical, therapeutic and dental services for each foster child in your care.
- Aspiranet coordinates events and networking opportunities between you and other Aspiranet Families to help facilitate peer-to-peer support.
- Aspiranet’s foster families will receive a monthly reimbursement for each foster child in your care.
- Aspiranet’s annual satisfaction surveys continually show that our families feel respected, supported and that Aspiranet staff is just a phone call away.
- Aspiranet provides all levels of care including Intensive Services Foster Care (ISFC).
- Aspiranet is a California licensed adoption agency supporting adoptions through foster care.
- Aspiranet has a dedicated staff with small caseloads, which means more personal attention for you and your family.
- Aspiranet is a statewide agency with over 40 years of experience in California.
- Aspiranet takes the time to get to know your family in order to provide the best match for a child or youth in foster care.
Our Family Coordinators are here to answer your questions and walk you through the process so you can feel confident in your decision to move forward. Sign up for more information
Children in foster care in California
Youth reunited with their families or matched with foster families annually through Aspiranet
Children transitioned from foster care to adoption, since 1999 by Aspiranet
How you can help
Thousands of children in California are in need of a forever family. Can you offer a child a safe and loving home?
Transitional Aged Youth
We believe: All young people deserve a strong foundation from which to launch their futures.
We believe: No child is beyond help, and everyone deserves a chance to fulfill their potential.
Intensive Home-Based Services
We believe: When children and families have access to the support and resources to thrive, there's no limit to what they can accomplish.
We believe: Caring and support helps families through challenging times.
Family & Community
We Believe: Families thrive when they have robust connections and support in their lives.