Keeping Kids on Track After School
The Oakland Afterschool Program serves the city’s most vulnerable students. Many of them face tremendous educational, social and economic barriers related to multi-generational poverty, insufficient education, single parent households, substance abuse, and gang activity. These stressors take a heavy toll on their ability to succeed in school and other areas.
The Program provides a balance of academic support, enrichment, and fitness activities that complement what children learn in school. We provide a safe place with caring adults in collaboration with community organizations, the school district, educators, and volunteer groups.
Each afterschool site includes a wide range of activities that help children learn, build relationships, and spend their time constructively, for example:
- Hip-hop dance
- Health club
- Computer training
- Track and field
- Academic clubs
- Acorn Woodland Elementary School
- Carl Munck Elementary School
- Community United Elementary School
- East Oakland Pride Elementary School
- EnCompass Elementary School
- Futures Elementary School
- Grass Valley Elementary School
- Howard Elementary School
- International Community School
- Lion Creek Crossings (Coliseum Gardens)
- Melrose Leadership Academy
- Peralta Elementary School
- Piedmont Elementary School
- Rise Community School
- Think College Now Elementary School
We make every effort to align students’ afterschool enrichment with their school curriculum by working closely with school leaders to ensure curricular continuity, common goals and objectives, and data sharing. This solid foundation gives them the opportunity to put wings to their dreams and develop the hero inside each of them.
To donate to support the Oakland Afterschool Program, click here.
(Select “Oakland After School” from the Program Intention menu)